Epidemiology of COVID-19
The topic of this session will be epidemiology in general and the epidemiology of COVID-19. General concepts like R0 and Rt will be explained and how models work, the assumptions behind them, and what they tell us will also be a topic of discussion.
Preview for Week 5
Presented by Heidi Beidinger-Burnett
Heidi Beidinger-Burnett gives a preview of this week’s session.
Epidemiology Tutorial: R0 and Superspreaders
Presented by Jenna Coalson
Twelve-minute video tutorial explaining the concept of R0 (Rnaught) and superspreaders.
Epidemiological Modeling Tutorial
Presented by Alex Perkins
Twelve-minute video that explains what epidemiology models can tell us. Three different epidemiological models are explained.
View the Event
- Heidi Beidinger-Burnett, Director, Eck Institute for Global Health Masters Program; Associate Professor of the Practice, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame; President of the St. Joseph County Board of Health
- Mary Ann McDowell, PhD, Associate Professor of Biological Sciences and Member of the Eck Institute for Global Health, University of Notre Dame
- Alex Perkins, Associate Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame
- Jenna Coalson, Assistant Professor of the Practice, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame
- Article: Herd Immunity? Or ‘Mass Murder’?
- The Great Barrington Declaration
- Article: False Promise of Herd Immunity
- Report: Population Point Prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 Infection Based on a Statewide Random Sample – Indiana, April 25-29, 2020. CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report describing the results from a SARS-CoV-2 surveillance study conducted in Spring 2020.
- Research article by Notre Dame alumna, Meagan Fitzpatrick: Modeling microbial infection to address global health challenges
- Research article by Dr. Alex Perkins: Estimating unobserved SARS-CoV-2 infections in the United States
- Research article by Dr. Alex Perkins: Impacts of K-12 school reopening on the COVID-19 epidemic in Indiana, USA
- COVID-19 Forecast Hub