Top 10 Learning Moments
- Just because a physician is named in a medical malpractice lawsuit does not actually mean that there is any wrongdoing that has happened. — Krista Foster
- There are very high mortality rates for the elderly as well as minorities—particularly minority men—from Covid.
- Minority elderly groups are dying at twice the rate of non-hispanic whites. — William Evans
- 40% of the deaths from Covid have been from people in nursing homes. — William Evans
- Improving the health of America requires recognition of privilege and anti-racism.
- I think to ensure that we improve the health of our country we really have to address systemic racism and push for anti-racist strategies to facilitate change. — Jane Lee
- It is 2020, in the United States, and we have people in our communities that don’t have running water—so, for me, it has created a call for action. — Peter Banko
- We saw it throughout this pandemic; the deep, deep passion that exists in caregivers for another human being in their time of greatest need. — Dr. Brian Donley
- There are many rumors going around about the vaccine, and these can be damaging for roll-out purposes.
- Dr. Donley wants to integrate the best of the Cleveland Clinic with the best of UK healthcare.
Interested in learning more?
This series is hosted by ThinkND, the University of Notre Dame’s online learning community that connects you with videos, podcasts, articles, courses, and other resources to inspire minds and spark conversations on everything from faith and politics to science, technology, and your career.
William Evans, Keough-Hesburgh Professor of Economics, Co-founder of the Lab for Economic Opportunities, University of Notre Dame
Krista Foster, Assistant Professor, IT, Analytics, and Operations, Mendoza College of Business, University of Notre Dame
Dr. Bernard Nahlen, Director, Eck Institute for Global Health, University of Notre Dame
Dominic Vachon, The John G. Sheedy, M.D., Director of the Ruth M. Hillebrand Center for Compassionate Care in Medicine, University of Notre Dame
Peter D. Banko, President & Chief Executive Officer, Centura Health
Jane Lee, Assistant Professor, University of Washington
Dr. Brian Donley, Chief Executive Officer, Cleveland Clinic London
Dr. Juliana Otieno, Former CEO, JOOTRH; Founder, Rusalia Research Foundation